Saturday 23 January 2016

Thing 18 Communicating through Photographs



I love the idea of this blog, as photos can be a powerful way of getting a message across.
I set up a Flickr account and did a quick search for libraries and found the photo above.
It's from Stockholm Public Library, it's also free to share under Creative Commons.

I have heard so much about instagram, but have never used it. I tried to download it on my phone but my memory is full so I will have to try it another time. I couldn't therefore complete the task connected with Instagram but I did make some comments on Flickr.

There are many ways using photos could be beneficial for libraries.
You could use photos for example of something you want to promote in your library such as your reading room, an exhibition, and share the photo on instagram to promote the library.
You could also run competitions where library users upload photos of some aspect of the library to encourage engagement with the users and also to gather information on how they see the library.
This could help you  to tailor and develop services in line with users needs.
For example - how do use your library -  what books are you reading, what services are your using - is it for studying local history, for learning a language, for the book club, for planning your next holiday? You could then use a mix of all the users photos for promoting the library services.




No comments:

Post a Comment