Friday 8 January 2016

Thing 12 Attending Conferences

The first conference that I attended was the Health Sciences Libraries Group in April 2013.

The application process was quite straightforward, as every year someone from our team attended, and in 2013 I got the opportunity to attend.

I found it was great to see what other librarians were working on in their workplaces and the diverse range of projects was overwhelming and very impressive.

I met a few people that I knew, I met a lovely librarian on the day who I had done some work experience with in the past, she was very good to me and really encouraging when I was looking for a job, so it was great to meet her.
I also met a librarian who I had spoken on the phone to about Interlibrary loans with so was nice to meet her too.  I spoke to a few others on the tea breaks and a small group got to go on a tour of the Edward Worth library so I got talking to a few more there.

I did take some notes on the day and I am glad as there is so much information to take it it would be hard to remember everything, I remember some HSE librarians speaking about Cliks, the librarian from Irish Hospice Foundation and the Blood Transfusion service. I also remember a presentation on on the different types of research and evidence and an update on Shelli. I know there was much more but it's not coming to mind right now. It was only 2 days but so much was covered and it gave you so much to think about.

I would like to attend more conferences as things are ever changing, you will never know it all or be completely up to date so in order to move with the times CPD is essential and as the writer of Rudai 12 said, conferences can cover so much in a short amount of time and give you ideas about what would work in your workplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment