Saturday 23 January 2016

Thing 17 Reflective Practice

I've decided to go with the first option - to write about how I could use reflection in my library experience. I have heard a lot about reflection and reflective practice and the benefits of it. But up until now I have on a surface level reflected on different incidents or events and perhaps analysed them and thought about what I could learn from the experience or what I would do differently the next time, but I have never actually applied a model to the process. I read some articles on the Gibbs cycle and I think it could be very useful for any project you are working on, no matter how big or small. I think taking some time to reflect gives you the opportunity to stop and assess and address what you have done so that the next time something similar happens you will hopefully make the right decision. For example....describe what happened. I will use a fictional library example. Library Ireland week is will be taking place soon. Your manager wants everyone to come up with ideas, everyone decides that an exhibition of photos illustrating activity in your county. Saying that your county is 'open for business' Photos of craft fairs, new business, new courses, successful initiatives, something that says your town and county is healthy and thriving and bouncing back after recession. What happens is a team is put in place to make this happen. Each person has responsibility for advertising the event, arranging a launch event, inviting local media, inviting guests to the launch. What happens - there is a big turn out but the content of the exhibition isn't as abundant as hoped. Some analysis on this would show that too much emphasis was given to organising the launch event and there was no through given to the risk that there might not be enough direct liaising with local photographers or camera clubs, which meant that there close to the event, it was realised that there wouldn't be as many photos to display as envisioned. I suppose the feeling would be some regret that this risk had not been considered before it was too late. Also a bit of embarrassment that the event wasn't as successful as imagined as it had the potential to be a great event. Conclusion would be to make a note of the time and promotion needed to organise an event like this and out a strict timeline in place, and also not to put work into a launch night until all of the content of the exhibition is finalised. I suppose I am looking at reflection as 'what have your learned from your mistakes' But you could also use reflection to evaluate a successful incident of event to consolidate actions and decisions that worked out and that resulted in sucess.

No comments:

Post a Comment