Monday 24 August 2015

Thing 8 Curation Tools

I chose to explore Pinterest as my task for Thing 8.
I had briefly used Pinterest before but hadn't set up a profile or selected boards to follow.
I think it could be very useful for getting ideas and seeing what other people do.
I searched for libraries and librarians. Most of what I found so far related to school libraries. I think many of the ideas that are displayed on their boards could be used for public libraries too, they have plenty of ideas for events, signage, posters, and displays, eg.  YA bingo, scavenger hunts, guides for choosing books. etc.
It is also a nice opportunity to see the different designs for the physical space, furniture, shelving, colour etc.
I also found some pins that would be useful for getting ideas for use in academic libraries, such as on writing styles and posters on explaining various research terminology, plagiarism, good study habits etc. Many of them are freely available to print, or you could just use their as an idea and adapt the posters to your own library users needs.
I haven't quite got the hang of how to create my own pins but I am enjoying searching and finding for now.

1 comment: