Friday 14 August 2015

Thing 5 Online Networks

I first heard of Facebook in 2006 when a friend recommended it to me, saying that it was brilliant and she was spending hours on it. I thought No way, I wouldn't like that at all. I wasn't a fan of the very popular at the time Bebo with it's 'other half'' and talking about yourself business.
But after a while with more and more people talking about Facebook I developed the fear of missing out and decided to give it a go and I loved it. I find it great for keeping in contact with people you don't see very often, and great if you have family or friends abroad or if you are organising an event.  It's great for businesses and organisations in that it is free advertising with a huge reach and people check it so regularly, Most libraries I know of have a Facebook page as another means of communicating.
Twitter on the other hand is  different story for me I tried it before and started following a few hundred interesting pages but I ended up getting completely overwhelmed with the constant tweets, you could spend the whole day on it! So while I still have an account I don't log in very often for fear of a few hours of my life disappearing!
I have just requested to join the RudaĆ­ group, it's impressive to think that there are 70 members.
Looking forward to seeing what's going on in the group.

2 comments:

  1. Twitter can be overwhelming. Lists are handy for isolating who's tweets you want to read. Twitter and FOMO dont go well together unfortunatley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Niamh, maybe if I give the lists a try I'd be able to handle it!

    ReplyDelete